If you are going to create your own podcasts and want to look for the most professional side, so that they look good from the start, it would be better if you had a mixer. We will explain why and we will advise you on your purchase.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve already started podcast where you will start, because one of the tools that can help you the most is a blender.
This type of device will give you a much more professional look and better sound quality, in addition to producing the podcasts themselves.
If your recordings are all about talking all the time, just saying what’s on your mind and cutting it off, a mixer probably doesn’t make much sense to you either.
But the moment we want give it a radio style twist or we have collaborators with us, this guy machines they become almost primordial.
Something that should also be clear is that a blender makes the process more complicated, but a lot more professionalso surely, if we are not used to this type of device, we will need a period of adaptation.
Depending on the level of professionalism we want to give our podcasts, this should be the mixer we buy.
For example, if we have a professional microphone who uses an XLR connection and we want to get the most out of it, there will be no choice but to buy a device of the type we are talking about.
What is a blender?
A mixer is a electronic device used to mix different signals audio.
In the case of podcasts, a table with two channels may be enough for you, especially if you only use your voice and occasionally some music.
If you have constant music changes and collaborations, your next mixer should have multiple channels to handle it all.
a mixing board allows you to mix sounds, equalize them, adjust the volume and balancein addition to add sound effects. In conclusion, it is clear that the mixers have the function of controlling and modifying the parameters of the sources sound that reach it, to give a better quality to the sound.
There are two kinds, analogwhich only work with this type of signals, and the digitalwhich are able to memorize and store information.
Why a mixer?
There are several reasons why we can make a mixer become a practically essential device for your podcasts.
Obviously, if we are talking about extremely simple podcasts, they can always be done with a microphone and nothing else, but when it is necessary to upload everything so that the level of the broadcasts is better, this device will become your best ally.
As we said before, if we want to use microphones with XLR connectionthe mixer is very necessary.
If we are going to need to control several channels at the same time, the console will provide us with the ability to they all play at the same volume. For example, if we have several people talking at the same time, we can manage the volume of all of them and even lower it if we don’t want some to interrupt the others.
U.S. too will allow you to add musicwhen we need it, from different shows, guaranteeing a much higher production quality.
They can use filters for each channel, equalize each as you want, there are even mixers that offer compression and limiters.
But one of the most important facets that a blender can help is if we want to do without post-production of our podcasts.
Once we know how to handle this device with total ease, we will be able to give it a quality, both in sound and in production, so high that we won’t need to touch it up later with any computer program.
Even though you handle everything once recorded, you can use the mixer to edit channel by channel, which means less tedious work.
What to Look for When Buying a Blender
Once you’ve decided to buy a blender, that’s when one of the trickiest parts comes in, if you’re not someone who understands this type of device too well.
There are so many on the market, of so many brands and with so many prices, that choosing the best one for our situation can become a real odyssey.
There are some parameters we need to look at to get the best table for us and what we expect:
- Channels: We need to be clear about the number of channels we will need depending on the type of podcast we are doing. Among those who are more professional, it is not uncommon to use between four and six in each recording. For example, you might need one channel for your microphone, a couple for your collaborators, and a few more for music and sound effects.
- Aperitif: another of the things that must also be clear is the inputs that the mixer has, since it should have all the ones we will need.
- Types of control: Dials are used on most low-cost mixers, which are quite comfortable to use and much more intuitive. However, it is always advisable, in the case of the main control, to have a father or a fader. This type of control is much more precise, but we can also say that it is more complicated if you do not have much experience.
- Other functions : If you intend to have high quality sound and reduce or even eliminate post production, then you will need to look for mixers that have at least an EQ system, gain control and filter. low pass, in addition to compression and limiters.
- Quotation: Obviously it is very tempting to buy a blender that is worth a lot of money and has many capacities, but it is also true that you have to stick to your budget so as not to go crazy, because there are many prices. In addition, we must be aware that we are really going to get the most out of this device, so it is not worth buying one that is too big for us. Since there is so much variety, it is best to stick to our budget.
Now you have all the information you need to buy a mixer for your podcasts and give them a much more professional touch.
If you don’t have experience with this type of device, take it easy and you’ll see how little by little you can get the most out of it.