Why do the gums recede?
Gingival recession, or receding gums, can have several causes. One of them is brushing teeth incorrectly or with the wrong toothbrush.
Sometimes when cleaning our teeth, we apply too much force, the wrong direction of the bristles or the use of a brush that is too hard. The gums suffer and retract for this reason.
It can also be a sign of periodontal diseasemore severe, in which in addition to damage to the gums there is a bone loss. a problem of occlusion (“poorly closing” the mouth) can also cause gum recession.
The gums of the tooth or teeth that suffer the most from these excessive pressures and which are not normal can be damaged.
The causes that cause receding gums, as you can see, can be very different. You the dentist is the one who will determine what your case is and advise you what habits you need to change and what are the solutions in your situation.
Can orthodontic appliances damage the gums?
This is one of the many myths surrounding orthodontics. Good treatment does not cause retraction gums (or gingival recession).
This, yes, maintain and improve cleanliness dental care during wear is very important, because the different structures which are used can make it difficult and cause gum disease, which is a risk factor for gum recession.
In any case, it is very important that the patient put himself in hands of a professional so that whoever carries out the processing does not dental movements that can cause damage.
In case of recession, it is advisable to consult the dentist because there are alternatives for their treatment, like the gum surgery.
Are there natural solutions to prevent bleeding gums?
Maintaining gum health is not only important for prevent them from bleeding or inflaming causing pain or even loss of teeth.
It is known that when they are affected by certain illnesses (for example an infection), risk of coronary disorders.
For your gums to be healthy, your body cannot lack several substances:
- Vitamin C: Participates in the production of collagen, a protein that gives elasticity and support to tissues and organs and is essential for keeping teeth in place and preventing oral infections. they provide it citrus fruits, kiwis, peppers… If you have ever developed periodontal disease, take supplements of this vitamin. It is recommended to take between 1 and 3 g per day.
- Lysine and proline: These are two amino acids that also participate in the formation of collagen. They bring it to you gelatin, legumes, lean meats, egg whites, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, fish and soy. You can also take 1 to 2 g per day of each of these amino acids in two divided doses half an hour before meals.
- Coenzyme Q10: Many patients with periodontal disease are deficient in this coenzyme. Your sources are meat, ham, sesame, fish (mackerel, tuna, sardines) and some nuts (walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts). If a disorder needs to be treated, take 60 to 200 mg daily without food.
There are also a number of plants that can help you:
You may notice relief and improvement in your gums if you mix sage, chamomile, bloodroot, calendula and thymeplants with properties antiseptic, healing and anti-inflammatory. Boil the mixture for 4 minutes, let stand 10 more and strain. Add the middle juice lemon with every glass.
Enhance the effect by adding 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract 10 drops of oregano oil. Once cooled, rinse 2 or 3 times a day.
What can I eat if my gums swell?
stress weakens the immune system and the gums can suffer this crisis and ignite for different infections.
Nutrition directly affects our immune system and plays a major role in prevention and reduction of symptoms Diseases.
Therefore, it is essential that you follow a varied diet rich in immunomodulating nutrients, that is, they strengthen your defenses.
Follow a diet rich in:
- Vitamin D. This nutrient increases the production of lymphocytes and antibodies, the soldiers of our immune system; also anti-inflammatory effect. Make sure that in your usual diet are present the Egg, the blue fish, the bone whole milk products and mushrooms and others arrows.
- Vitamins E and C Both are powerful antioxidants which strengthen our defenses. As a general rule, dress your vegetables and salads with extra virgin olive oil and eat 20-30g dried fruit every day to make sure you get vitamin E in your diet. Fruits and vegetables, the latter if you can undercooked, They are an excellent source of vitamin C.