The colon, also called the large intestine, is part of the digestive system and is the longest part of the large intestine. One of its functions is to extract water, certain nutrients and electrolytes from partially digested food.
Also, It is responsible for transforming consumed food into smaller nutrient molecules. so that the blood can absorb them and transport them to cells throughout the body.
This considered leftover material which is not processed by the colon and which is of solid consistency, becomes feces, moves through the colon, is stored in the rectum and leaves the body in a process of defecation.
Many disorders can affect the capacity of the colon to function properly. The US National Library of Medicine, through its Medline Plus information service, has listed a few:
- Colon polyps: Although most polyps are harmless, if not treated properly, they can turn into cancer.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: this condition usually causes stomach crampsdiarrhoea, cramps and sometimes, depending on Drug focusgases.
- Colorectal cancer: The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) assures that this type of cancer is the fourth most common in the Americas. Each year, there are more than 240,000 new cases and approximately 112,000 deaths from this disease in the region.
In this context, the care and cleansing of the colon is important, since there are different pathologies that can be avoided or treated if taken in time. However, before resorting to any method that fulfills this process, a doctor should be consulted.
One of the ways one can ask the doctor to cleanse this organ is by using prunesthen, according to the specialist magazine UnCOMO, published via the portal Mundodeportivothis fruit contains the following properties that help achieve this goal:
- Vasodilators: the flavonoids contained in this fruit promote good blood circulation throughout the body, which promotes the elimination of toxins.
- Laxative: One of the benefits attributed to plums is that they help fight constipation, thanks to their water, fiber and sorbitol content, since this combination causes a laxative effect that helps regulate intestinal transit.
- Diuretics: It helps prevent water retention and eliminate waste or toxins accumulated in the body.
- Strengthens the immune system: this property is due to the fact that it contains a large amount of vitamin C in its compounds, which, It helps to protect the body and therefore less bacteria build up in the areas around the colon.
To take advantage of the mentioned properties of prune on the colon, it is possible, according to the portal Salud180, prepare juices that have these as the main ingredient:
Pear and plum juice
Ingredients: half a chopped pear, four prunes and a cup of water.
1. Soak the plums overnight and the next day remove the bone they have.
2. Put all the ingredients in the blender. It is not necessary to remove the skin from the pear.
3. Process until everything is properly integrated.
4. Serve and eat on an empty stomach.
Papaya and prune juice
Ingredients: half a cup of papaya, four prunes, a tablespoon of oatmeal and a cup of water or almond milk.
1. The day before, soak the plums. The next day, remove their hearts.
2. Put all the ingredients in the blender, making sure the papaya has no skin.
3. Mix until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
4. Serve and consume on an empty stomach, preferably.