The car battery It is a basic element for everything to work properly.. It is responsible for storing the necessary electricity that certain electrical components that make up the vehicle need to perform their work, so that when it breaks down it causes us a great setback. This type of situation is quite common, as many drivers throughout their license years have been affected, requiring the assistance of a tow truck, a certain portable starter or another road user who threw a cable – never better said – to be able to start the engine.
How to use tweezers: steps to follow
Although it is a fairly recurrent operation, doubts often arise as to the steps to follow when it comes to correctly position the starter clamps, avoiding possible damage both to the vehicle and to the user in charge of making the connections. For this reason it is very important to follow the procedure that we are going to detail, as well as to take into account the color code and no, we are not talking about the license plate colorsbut red and black wires.
- Red cable – positive terminals
- Black cable – negative terminals
Made that note so important, it’s time to find out the eight steps needed to properly use tweezers without suffering any mishap in the attempt. These are:
- Place the vehicles in a safe place, close to each other (not touching) so that the cables can connect from one engine to the other without problems. Remember that each time you leave the vehicle on the road, you must reflective vest.
- Open the hoods and start the engine of the vehicle you are going to use to start your car. This will use the electrical energy produced by the alternator and not that stored in the battery.
- Connect the red cable to the positive terminal of the discharged battery.
- Attach the other end of the red cable to the positive terminal of the charged battery.
- Connect the black cable to the negative terminal of the charged battery.
- Attach the other end of the black cable to the negative terminal of the discharged battery. It is recommended that the connection be made to an unpainted metal point on the chassis which serves as a ground.
- Wait about five minutes with the cables connected and start the vehicle. If it starts the first time, the cables must be removed in the reverse order of their installation. If this is not the case, avoid insisting more than 10 seconds otherwise the circuit will overheat.
- Once running, let the engine run for about 15 minutes between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm so that the alternator can again produce electricity by charging the discharged battery.
Beware of the Start & Stop system
Having seen this procedure, it is worth mentioning that most modern vehicles are equipped with Start & Stop systemswhereby the process described above will undergo variations. For this reason, you should always consult the vehicle manual to consult the manufacturer’s recommendations, thus avoiding any deterioration of certain components of the car’s electrical system.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and uploaded to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on piano.io