How is monkeypox spread?

Madrid.- Summary of the whole present at NOTICIERO MADRID 24 hours a day.

CMT

The monpoxor, also called hMPXV (Human Monkeypox Version, for its acronym in English) already registers about 20,000 people affected in the world and the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global health emergency on July 23 after the further increase in confirmed cases and transmission in more than 75 countries.

Second monkeypox death in our country

Monkeypox is caused by the monkeypox virus, a member of the genus Orthopoxvirus, of the Poxviridae family. It is a viral zoonosis typical of the tropical forest zones of central and western Africa. With the eradication of smallpox in 1980 and the subsequent discontinuation of smallpox vaccination, monkeypox became the most important public health orthopoxvirus.

Spain, with more than 3,100 confirmed cases, is the country in the world with the most cases of monkeypox, according to WHO statistics

It is estimated that theThe smallpox vaccine produces immunity in 80% of those vaccinated., while the remaining 20% ​​show only mild symptoms. In Spain, the Ministry of Health has already confirmed two deaths from this disease

How does contagion occur?

Diffusion from animals to humans (zoonoses) It is produced by direct contact with blood, body fluids, broken skin or mucous membranes and infected animals. Diffusion between human beings This can be done through the following routes, according to the WHO.

close contact with secretions from the respiratory tract or skin lesions of the infected person
contact with objects that an infected person has recently touched respiratory droplets (requires prolonged face-to-face contact)
Through the placenta from mother to fetus or through close contact during and after birth

The WHO has advised that although close physical contact is a well-known risk factor for transmission, it is currently unclear whether monkeypox can be transmitted specifically by sexual transmission routes and that studies are needed to better understand this risk.

Monkeypox Questions and Answers

Incubation period

The incubation period (interval between infection and onset of symptoms) of monkeypox is usually 6 to 13 dayss, although it can vary between 5 and 21 days.

Monkeypox is usually a self-limiting disease, with symptoms that last 2 to 4 weeks.

It can cause severe cases, especially in children, and its evolution depends on the degree of exposure to the virus, the patient’s state of health and the nature of the complications. Recently, the case fatality rate has been around 3% to 6%.

Symptoms

The clinical picture of monkeypox resembles that of smallpox. The bone Clinical signs Symptoms of monkeypox are usually fever, rash, and swollen lymph nodes, and can lead to various medical complications.

The period of the invasions (lasting between 0 and 5 days), characterized by fever, severe headache, lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes), low back pain, myalgia (muscle pain) and severe asthenia (lack of energy)

These are the new symptoms identified in monkeypox

The rashes usually start 1 to 3 days after the onset of fever and tends to concentrate mainly on the face and extremities rather than the trunk.

Skin lesions usually appear on Face (in 95% of cases), the palms of the hands and soles of the feet (in 75% of cases). The oral mucous membranes are also affected (in 70% of cases), the genitals (30%) and the conjunctiva (20%), as well as the cornea.

Leave a Comment