Our elders can also easily use WhatsApp
Although the most common application nowadays is available on other simple mobiles, the advantage of Android and iOS systems is that this WhatsApp can be modified to adapt it to the needs of the elderly. Because yes; technologies and smartphones are not reserved only for the youngest, but obviously everyone’s ease of understanding and handling them is not the same.
And it is that the digital transformation of society has exploded considerably in recent years. Digital, which was already part of our lives, has become essential. Hardly anyone can imagine a life without an internet connection, and being online is now more important than ever.
Something that our elders also know, whether they are our parents or our grandparents. For this reason, and so that they are Always connected but in the simplest way it is possible to calibrate our tools well. Whether they do it from a state-of-the-art smartphone or an older one (which has WhatsApp), our adults will also be able to enjoy the app and enjoy it to the fullest.
How can we do it
Because, according to studies, the population sector over 55, especially if you live in rural or unpopulated areas, you are still the one who has been left behind in this post-covid era. And he is, therefore, the main recipient of digital training courses.
Many of these seniors discovered during the lockdown, and in the weeks that followed, that you can do anything on the internet without fearing for security. And in those too, through the use of WhatsApp which will be much more comfortable without having to make great sacrifices.
Add shortcut for contacts
To prevent the elderly from having to enter the WhatsApp application and search for the contact with whom they wish to communicate, it is advisable to create direct access to their favorite contacts on the mobile home screen. In this way, and in a simple way, they will be able to send a message directly with whoever they want.
The app itself has this work natively, which allows us to create direct access to any chat we have, whether private or group. So if there’s a chat they particularly want to have immediately available, they’ll do it right away:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Enter the desired chat.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner.
- Pulsar in addition.
- choose the option Create direct access.
- Look at the shortcut on the home screen.
On the other hand, and also something important to point out, is that our elders can also increase font size letters in WhatsApp to see better without forcing too much, all a simple and quick explanation, and therefore to increase the size of the messages.
The first will be to open the application where, once on the main screen, we will access the general menu by pressing the icon of the three points located in the upper right corner, and we will select the option to Settings from the drop-down menu.
- From here we will select the option to configure Catsof which the second section Cat adjustmentswe will find an option called Font size.
- By clicking on the latter, a small pop-up window will open in which we can choose the size of the letter (or font) that we want to use, under the three options Small, medium and large.
Pin essential chats
To make it easier for you to find essential contacts, we can also choose to pin the most essential conversations, the ones you should always have accessible. It can be with you, with your parents, other family members, with lifelong friends…
- On the app’s home page, all you have to do is press and hold one of the chats you want to pin.
- The pushpin icon will appear at the top.
- We click on it in each of the conversations we want and that’s it.
Automatically (or not) download videos and photos
Another important action, and which will be taken advantage of, is to opt for automatic downloading of content, both videos, images, GIFs, stickers… Thus, WhatsApp automatically downloads images through the network of device mobile data. You have quick access to your most recent photos.
To set up automatic uploading of photos, videos, or audio files, simply follow these steps:
- On the app’s main screen, tap the three dots icon More options
- Access storage and data.
- The automatic download will open to choose it as activated (it is already by default) or deactivated. The advice is that for them it is on.
Send voice notes and photos
As we know, and very useful for adults, in addition to writing messages, WhatsApp allows you to send free voice messages. for that it is necessary press the microphone that appears in outgoing messages. Save the message, then tap the send line.
Similarly, photos can be sent by clicking on the camera that appears in the text box. The application saves the photos at an ideal resolution for quick sending, and so that the recipient can open them without problems. It also allows you to easily make video calls with your contacts, as we will see below.
To make video calls
One of the functions of WhatsApp that has improved the most in recent years is that related to video calls, calls in which it is possible to listen to and also see the other contact. Something that can be very useful for our parents and grandparents to make things easier for them.
Here is the procedure you can follow to make a video call on WhatsApp:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Enter the conversation of the contact with whom you want to make the video call.
- Click on the camera button that appears in the upper right area and confirm that you want to start the video call by pressing To call.
- As in audio calls, you can add more participants to the video call by clicking on a number button with a + sign located in the upper right corner.
- During the video call, you can switch between the rear and front cameras by tapping the camera icon at the bottom left. To end the video call, click the red phone button.