The CEO of the World Health Organization (WHO)Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, reported that more than 18,000 cases of monkeypox in the world, 70% in Europeand called on men who have sex with men to reduce the number of sexual partners, as they are the population group most affected by the virus.
At a press conference, Tedros commented that so far sOnly five people have died from this cause and 10% of cases required hospitalization to manage the pain caused by the infection. A situation which this Saturday caused the organization of The United Nations had to declare the monkeypox outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
98% of the cases are men who have sex with men and therefore the director general of the WHO asked them to reduce the number of sexual partners, reconsider having new sexual contacts and even ask for the contact of each new partner you have so you can contact them in case of infection.
“This group must be empowered to reduce the risk of infection, transmission and protect dignity and human rights, because stigma can be just as dangerous as the virus,” Tedros pointed out, noting that the virus is contracted through close contact and even through bedding.
In his opinion, the epidemic can be stopped if they take the risks of contagion “seriously” and adopt the measures necessary to protect themselves and the most vulnerable, for example pregnant women, children or people with weakened immune systems.
“Monkey pox can also spread in homes”recalled Tedros, to emphasize that the WHO does not recommend mass vaccination, but recommends it for the population at high risk of exposure to the virus, which also includes health professionals and those who work in the laboratories.
That said, the WHO Director General has said that there is already an approved monkeypox vaccine in Canada, United States and the European Unionand asked countries that have doses to share them with states that don’t.