The human body can experience inflammation for various reasons. Likewise, it can occur in a generalized way or only in a specific part, that is, localized.
The specialized health portal MedlinePlus defines swelling as an enlargement of the organs, skin or other parts of the body, which is caused by the accumulation of fluids in the tissues.
Among the list of causes of swelling are chronic kidney disease, burns, heart failure, liver failure due to cirrhosis, malnutrition, thyroid disease, use of certain medications, or pregnancy.
In this sense, considering the multiple factors that can cause swelling, Before any alarm signal, it is advisable to go to a specialist doctor to receive an accurate diagnosis and define the appropriate treatment.
Swollen feet: why does it happen?
This symptom is common in older people and is usually characterized by painless swelling that affects the feet and ankles. It is usually caused by the abnormal accumulation of fluid in these parts of the body.
“Painless swelling can affect both legs and can include the calves or even the thighs. The effect of gravity makes the swelling more noticeable in the lower part of the body.
Other causes of foot inflammation are: being overweight, formation of a blood clot in the leg, aging, infections, varicose veins, among others.
What about abdominal swelling?
Another area of the body that tends to get inflamed – and even more frequently – is the abdomen. It is usually caused by overeating or eating certain types of food. However, it can also occur due to the accumulation of fluids in the abdomen, which can be associated with serious health problems.
Other causes of bloating include gas in the intestine resulting from eating high fiber foods (like fruits and vegetables), irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, ovarian cysts, etc. As with any other type of suspicious swelling, It is advisable to consult a specialist to rule out complex health problems.
Foods to deflate the feet and abdomen
Anti-inflammatory diets are an alternative medicine option for relieving bloating and its associated symptoms. In this sense, the specialized portal body-mind recommends the following foods with anti-inflammatory properties to reduce these effects in the body:
- Turmeric: Also called “natural ibuprofen”, this plant is attributed anti-inflammatory qualities
- Flax and chia seeds: They are distinguished by their richness in omega-3 fatty acids with an anti-inflammatory effect.
- green leafy vegetables: Its antioxidant content helps fight inflammation. However, since excess fiber can cause gas, it is advisable to consume it in moderation.
- probiotic foods: At the market, you can find sauerkraut, kimchi, water kefir and kombucha tea. These drinks help improve the state of the intestinal flora and the digestive system, causing a purifying and anti-inflammatory effect, according to a review Body-mind.
If abdominal swelling occurs due to overeating or eating a large meal, MedlinePlus suggests adjusting eating habits, for exampleeat smaller portions. It is also advisable to avoid carbonated drinks, chew gum and try to eat slowly.
Regarding inflammation of the feet and ankles, in addition to home care, the following habits:
- Put your legs on pillows to raise them above the level of your heart.
- Exercise legs.
- Follow a low-salt diet, which can reduce fluid retention and swelling.
- Wear special compression stockings.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing or garters around the thighs.
- If you are overweight or obese, it is advisable to lose a few pounds.