During pregnancy, the increase in body weight and increasing the volume of uterus which grows with the fetus, as well as hormonal changes and the increase of blood pressure, contribute to a feeling of swelling, which can be generalized or localized in certain areas of the body. the body. Swelling during pregnancy tends to occur more at night and increases as the pregnancy progresses, due to increased belly size and pregnancy-related disorders. Fortunately, we can do some actions that help us and we are talking about them now, about 6 remedies for swelling during pregnancy.
swelling during pregnancy
Many women suffer from swelling in the legs, ankles, feet and hands, and in some cases even the face. If the swelling is not associated with other types of disorders, it can be considered completely normal, if on the contrary the accumulation of excess fluid it is good to look for the causes.
Causes of swelling during pregnancy
As mentioned, during pregnancy the body is subjected to many changes which cause an increase in heaviness, also increasing the feeling of fatigue in women.
Metabolism slows down hormonal changes (especially the action of progesterone) and changes in internal organs cause certain disorders in the gastrointestinal system, such as heartburn, gastritis, constipation and water retention.
Although this is a completely normal condition, swelling can cause serious discomfort to the woman making it difficult to perform normal daily activities.
However, Rarely, swelling can be a symptom of potentially dangerous conditions. must therefore be recognized. This is the case of preeclampsia, also called gestosis, a disorder also caused by the dysfunction of the placenta, which weakens the blood circulation and endangers the health of the woman and the fetus.
The preeclampsia It is manifested precisely by edema (accumulation of fluids), by the presence of proteins in the urine and by hypertension.
Excessive weight gain during pregnancy can also increase swelling: remember that the recommended weight gain should not exceed 7-13 kg at the end of pregnancy.
The 6 remedies for bloating during pregnancy
If the causes of swelling during pregnancy are not pathological but physiological (that is, if the pregnancy is uneventful), it is possible to alleviate the discomfort with easily accessible natural remedies, and by following some simple precautions:
- To drink a lot of water : Running water is a great ally during pregnancy. It helps to expel toxins and keeps women hydrated. The advice is to drink at least 1.5 liters a day, better if you reach 2 liters.
- Massage the feet and legs with oils and moisturizing creams, to reactivate circulation and relieve the feeling of swelling
- Wear comfortable clothes and don’t sit too long to promote circulation
- Do not drink carbonated beverages: if water alone is a panacea, on the contrary, sugary and carbonated drinks can increase the feeling of bloating, as well as the risk of developing gestational diabetes.
- Practice a physical activity : always with the agreement of the doctor, it is very useful to continue to practice a moderate physical activity throughout the pregnancy. Movement (even a daily brisk walk, but also swimming or water aerobics) helps reduce feelings of bloating and increases overall well-being.
- Reduce salt intake: As we know, salt increases water retention, so it is advisable (and not only during pregnancy) not to abuse it.
Some natural remedies used in herbal medicine They are also useful in relieving swelling in the body during pregnancy, but before taking them, it is always advisable to consult an expert.
If the swelling does not subside, if edema appears on the body and if other symptoms such as high blood pressure, It is good to seek advice from your doctor as soon as possible, since, as we have seen, they could be signs of preeclampsia.