Atlético de Madrid have left Luis Suárez and there’s a lot of talk this pre-season that there isn’t a lot of money available for signings. Yet in recent hours, one name has appeared in some of the world’s leading headlines: Cristiano Ronaldo.
The mutual admiration that ‘Cholo’ Simeone and the Portuguese footballer have for each other has long been known: “For me, he is a special trainer. He is a coach who gives a lot to football, and who has a lot of “balls”, and I like people like that“, said Ronaldo recently about Simeone, in the documentary that Amazon recently released the Argentine coach.
The reasons for optimism
There are reasons to excite those who think that signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Atlético de Madrid is doable.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo has always been to Simeone’s liking, and Simeone also likes Cristiano Ronaldo.
2. Club CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín and player representative Jorge Mendes have a good relationship.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo’s goals ‘fall’. And Atlético de Madrid needs a footballer capable of increasing the team’s goalscoring ability, after the departure of the Uruguayan striker.
4. Cristiano Ronaldo is a proven player and he knows La Liga very well.
5. A detail that speaks of the perfect harmony of the holidays: this Monday, Georgina Rodriguezthe player’s partner, started following on Instagram Carla Pereyrawife of Diego Simeone.
The reasons for pessimism
- Left6: There is no advertising configuration for the requested slot
However, there are also reasons to believe that Cristiano Ronaldo for Atlético de Madrid has no future.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the highest paid footballers in the world, so Atlético de Madrid would not, under any circumstances, reach the figures around which the Portuguese manages.
2. Manchester United would not give him the release letter, so the rojiblanco club would have to pay an amount as a “transfer”.
3. Atlético fans would be against his arrival. To show this, In Sports COPE spoke about the spokesperson for the ‘Despierta Atleti’ platform, Sergio Estévez: “That would be another heresy“.
United, confident in its continuity
Manchester United, meanwhile, continues to work in complete serenity, indifferent to this type of rumour. In the British club there is the belief that Cristiano Ronaldo will continue in the team.
Indeed, his trainer Erik ten Hag said about it that “the situation is the same as a week ago“, and underlines that the player is not for sale and that he has planned the season counting on him, and is even expected for the next one.
We can then wonder what Real Madrid supporters would think. It may not have been very funny to see the club’s all-time top scorer wearing the shirt of the capital’s eternal rival.